Each year Lake Superior State processes thousands of words that the public recommends should be banished from "the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness." The list is whittled down by a committee in December and released in January. Here is this year's list in no particular order.
- GITMO - shorthand for U.S. military base in Cuba
- Combined celebrity names (i.e. Bragelina)
- Awesome - Rats, that's a favorite of mine. Probably due to watching Napoleon Dynamite too many times.
- Gone/Went missing - Is that in Nebraska? Can you get me directions to Missing?
- PWN or PWND - popular phrase online gamers use instead of "own" or "owned"
- Now Playing in Theaters
- We're Pregnant - Oh yeah big boy? I thought you were just gaining a little weight.
- Undocumented Alien - no documents = Illegal
- Armed Robbery/Drug Deal Gone Bad
- Truthiness - Hmm, sounds like a bad tasting granola bar. Maybe it is - they say that sometimes the truth is hard to swallow ;)
- Ask Your Doctor - and make the pharmaceutical companies some cash!
- Search - as in the internet
- Healthy Food
- Boasts - as in our motel boasts king-sized beds and a jacuzzi.
View the list with additional comments at www.lssu.edu/banished/.