It is the All-Star Game oft remembered for the mammoth home run that was shot off the bat of a young Reggie Jackson. Back when Tiger stadium was a sea of green before the city of Detroit purchased it and tore out the green seats and replaced them with orange and blue ones. Back when the All-Star Game meant something to those who played in it without having the silliness of the games' result determining home-field advantage for the World Series. Ernie Harwell had said that it was the hardest hit ball he had ever seen. Take a look at the video below and see for yourself.
Did you know?
- Future Tigers manager Sparky Anderson managed the National League team at that All-Star game.
- All of the runs scored in the 6-4 American League victory were on home runs.
- This was the final All-Star Game appearance for Roberto Clemente as he was injured for the 1972 game.
- 20 future Hall of Famers played in this game - 11 on the National League team and 9 on the American League side.
- Tigers pitching great, Mickey Lolich, pitched two innings for the save.