The stamp a man puts on the position of President of the United States is never really clear until years later when a man's legacy is looked upon with 20/20 hindsight. Gerald R. Ford had to step into a position vacated due to the Nixon resignation amongst the Watergate scandal. How do you address a nation still in disbelief over the bizarre affairs of Watergate? But Ford stepped into the presidency and did the best he could. It was never easy and the critics made their displeasure heard. Especially after the federal pardon Ford issued to Nixon just a month into his new role as president.
I'll let the following articles at various Michigan newspapers tell the whole story.
- Ford Never Coveted Presidency - Lansing State Journal
- NMU Professor Recalls Ford Visit - The Mining Journal
- Our President - Detroit Free Press
- Country indebted to Ford's integrity - The Detroit News
- Michigan reactions to Ford's death - Ludington Daily News
- Ford held nation together - Kalamazoo Gazette