A house about a half mile down the road from our house exploded this morning. I never heard the explosion, but the constant cavalcade of emergency vehicles convinced me that something bad had happened nearby. Where did I hear some information about the explosion?
The radio? No.
Surely the local television station carried it as breaking news? Nope.
I read up to the hour reports of this tragic accident online. Yep, the internet was the first place I found any coverage.
WWMT.com was the first news format of any kind to break the story with video images shot while the local fire departments put out the smoldering bits and pieces of the house. No live reporters giving the usual soundbites, just a stark video of the devastatingly small remains of the home.
The owner of the home was airlifted up to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo with burns over 70% of his body. My thoughts and prayers are with him.