I cannot believe some of the books that are banned by school libraries across the country. This week (9/23 - 9/30) is Banned Book Week. This year marks the 25th anniversary of Banned Book Week. Here are a few of the books that I was surprised to see on this list. Also, it is stated that parents are the group that instigates most of the challenged/banned books. Interesting.
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
- Entire Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling
- A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle
- To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
- A Light in the Attic - Shell Silverstein
- How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
- Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
You know, I wonder if the parents that are so quick to have books banned because of their content also make sure that their kids don't watch movies and television shows with the same content.
For more information see the American Library Association website. They have a wealth of information on who bans books, why books are banned, and huge lists of challenged/banned books.